Thursday, February 19, 2009

Precedent Analysis Building Selection + Justification

Building Selection: Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Date of Construction: started 1956, completed 1959
Designer: Frank Lloyd Wright
Location: Manhattan, New York City

My selection for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum as my building was a result of my trip to New York February of 2008. On the trip I got to go to this museum myself and see the temporary exhibit of the time. Being an art lover myself, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity to study this building dedicated to housing art. I was astounded by the interior of the building and how the floor spiraled to the ceiling; I had never seen this type of construction. I chose this building to explore the commodity of the unique design. I was worried this building was built in the 21st century, and I was shocked to see the construction date of this building, it seemed as though Frank Lloyd Wright was very intelligent in determining design and successes of risky structures. I feel this analysis will be more so useful to myself as an outsider looking into the world of design, and I felt if I was to do a project like this, I might as well research a building which would appeal to me as an artist. I am sure Frank Lloyd Wright's design in the Solomon R. Guggenheim building has a much more important effect to the world of design than I am aware of, and that's why I chose to do my analysis for this building.

No comments:

Post a Comment